Friday, January 7, 2011

My Story

So, I started this off unsure about saying who I am. I'm still not to keen on the idea of posting my identity, since as anyone with Trichotillomania knows it is sort of a "hidden" disorder. Anyway, I decided my first name (which is Savannah) is something I'm comfortable with saying. I also decided that I'd kind of start this blog off on a personal note, with my own Trichotillomania story. I started picking at my eyelashes at 1 1/2 years old, my family thinks it's because my mom had cancer around that time and was constantly in and out of the hospital. I didn't start literally pulling them out until I was 2 or so. My parents had me in therapy VERY early, around three or four. I hated it. One of my earliest therapy memories is a therapist advising my parents to sew gloves onto the ends of my pajamas. I was probably four, and I had a complete breakdown in the office. What kid wants to have that done? I guess I felt like I was being punished, and nobody understood I didn't want to do it- I just had to.

Fast-forward through years of more awful therapists and being forced to sleep with gloves on (I usually took them off, the sewing them on thing didn't last long), when I was eleven or so I tried hypnotherapy. It took well, surprisingly. For maybe six months or so I did fantastic. Then I stopped listening to the CD's at night, and it gradually wore off. I don't think I could have kept it up even if I attempted to, I was supposed to listen to half-hour CD's nightly and it just didn't work. After that I honestly gave up for a few years and just lived my life. I've never had a problem with bullying really, I've always hid it well even though I basically never have any eyelashes. Of course I've had those few awkward moments where people ask questions, but again while I'm being honest I've always lied my way out of it. The longest "pull free" period I've had is maybe two months ago when I stopped for three weeks. It was great, but stress took over and I pulled again. I've always dealt with my Trichotillomania privately, and refused most of my parents attempts at helping me. I do genuinely hope I can beat this someday. It's tough because Trich has basically always been a part of me, it's my release in many aspects. I think it has damaged me socially because I have always tried to not be too noticed, and it has broken my self-esteem in a lot of ways. In another aspect it's something that is going to be emotionally hard to let go of, I can't imagine NOT doing it ever again. In a way that thought is wonderful, in a way it's scary, and in another it's a little saddening. It's hard to hate something that's a part of myself.

I am planning on starting Monday to see if I can beat my three week run. I'm hoping blogging about it can help me learn about myself and how to stop pulling, and hopefully I'll help someone else in the process. I'll post my progress daily, or as much as I can. I'm starting therapy again for the first time in a long time as well. I'm nervous, but we'll see.

Also check out my top links for my info if you want to contact me!
Savannah.

11 comments:

  1. Hello i be pull free for 249 days and my hair don't regrow again :( i don't have any scars or something ... how about your regrownth ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you pull from? I am not currently pull-free, unfortunately! I was a few weeks ago and I had lots of growth. I pull my eyelashes and have for sixteen years. You should definitely talk to your doctor if nothing is growing back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is possible that you may have damaged your hair follicles. I have heard that if you pull from the same spot for a long period of time, you can damage that area. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's possible, but I am able to get growth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Trich too! It sucks, and I've only had it for a little over a year. Regrowth for me takes TIME and a couple of weeks!
    There's this book, called The Hair Pulling Problem by: Fred Penzel. It's a great book, and has tons of the latest info on Trich.
    Regrowth:
    Crown-147 days
    Area of scalp above ears- 144 days
    Eyebrows- 61 days

    Sadly they have nothing for eye-lashes or anything else. These numbers are for FEMALES only. For Males with Trich, their hair grows back A LOT faster. (Which is weird.)
    Hopes this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Aloha"- Thanks for the info! That's interesting info about males hair growing back faster!


    Thanks for reading!

    Savannah
    A Trichy Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Savannah,
    I have been pulling my hair since I was 16 and am now 60. Some days are better than others, but I do pull regularly. Like Haley, I also bite the follicle. There are others who do the same thing, so I don't think it is a coincidence. It must be something to do with Trich. There are days when I pull lashes too, but mostly just from my head. Pulling is worse when I'm tired or anxious. I'm on an antidepressant called Pristiq and I think that has helped a bit. Staying busy and not focusing on the compulsion helps as well. Take note of when you're most likely to pull, and then do something to change that environment. If it's when you're watching TV, then find something to do with your hands while you're sitting there. It is a lifelong issue, but I know that it is manageable. I do not agree with Dr. Wartel that this is just a habit. It was described to me as a "tic". Surprisingly, there's a lot of info on the web about Trich. I wish you God's help in staying pull-free. Kiki B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Anonymous: Wow, that's a long time! I've been pulling for sixteen years and I can't imagine going the rest of my life with this. That's great that the Pristiq is helping you, and staying busy is definitely one of the most important things. I also disagree strongly with Dr. Wartel, and I do believe it is more of a tic disorder. Thank you very much for your comment, and please keep reading.

    Savannah
    A Trichy Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Savannah - I came across your blog by reading the posts on TLC's "My Strange Addiction" website. I have been struggling with this problem for AT LEAST 10 years now. My story is: that I pull out my eyebrows. I have tried everything to stop, even throwing away my tweezers numerous times, but nothing works. It is an embarassing problem, to the fact where I cant even get my head wet in the swimming pool, b/c I am deathly afraid my eyebrow pencil will wash off! I am really finding it helpful by reading your blog, and I almost feel that its refreshing for me. I am even going to try the medicine you have suggested. I will definitly keep returning to your blog and reading your updates. Thanks so much for puting this together. I think you will get more feedback than you think :) - Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your info on listening to the CDs at night to be interesting. It really struck me! I don't have Trich, but my 10yr old daughter does. She started nearly a year ago pulling her eyelashes, then adding the eyebrows, and finally hair behind her ears. Ever since she was born she had classical instrumental music cds played (looping) whenever she went to bed. We kind of stopped this sometime previous to her Trich "onset". Makes me wonder if we started again, if it would help her...? Anyone know? Please share your thoughts and experiences. lindareesewic@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you



    Cancer Hospitals in Trichy

    ReplyDelete